Sunday 26 January 2014

When We Were Sad

I first met Paul Brett in the early days of The Floor in St. Michaels at the turn of the century. He was a bear of a man with a warm black country accent, a twinkle in his eyes and an endless enthusiasm for music and, as I discovered over the years, a seeming endless passion for unusual stringed instruments, all of which he mastered though, judging by the reaction of his adoring wife Julie, not without a degree of trial and aural assault.
His first band was Izzyjack, set up with longtime friend and Floor impresario, Andy Cook and their teenage children, Issy and Jack. The opening track on their inaugral e.p. was When We Were Sad.
I was incredulous when Paul told me in March 2012 that he was due to have treatment for throat cancer as he had just performed at Balladeers with Red Dog, a driving 6 piece folk rock band, and so would be off the scene for the rest of summer.
He seemed to be recovering when he visited in support of his son Jacks solo spot at Balladeers and though he was a bit tired when he and Red Madog played the Cider festival last summer . I'm gutted to learn that  was his last live performance and I find it so hard to accept that Paul died the beginning of December.

Appropriately, Jack fronted Red Madog for the closing performance at the last Next Floor, playing the music of Paul Brett. As Jack said, he wanted the music to do the talking.

There is a planned memorial concert for Paul in aid of Marie Curie at Bucknell Village Hall on Saturday 8th March and we'll keep you informed about performing at that

My hope when I set up Balladeers was that it would help develop a wider and supportive 'family' of musicians.I didn't consider times like this, when we were sad.